Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Easter Dress #2 and My "Go to" Outfit

This is my 6 year old's Easter dress.  Its the same dress that I made her last Easter, the Oliver and S Fairytale Dress.   Actually this dress was mostly completely constructed because last year I started sewing a size 6 for her by accident and when I was just almost done I realized my mistake, she needed a size 5! Wah so I was pretty frustrated but put everything in a bag and threw it up on a high shelf out of sight until this year.  So this Easter I was excited that I was just almost done when I started= happy Mom.  

Pattern:  Like last year, I added piping to the peter pan collar.  We decided to forgo a sash or any waist details, mostly because some how I had used up all the coordinating coral fabric and couldn't find any more to match.  I added the called for layer of tulle under the skirt, this fabric needed the support.  This is one of the best written patterns I think I've ever used and it just looks adorable on.  I need to make another for her because she loves wearing it.  Most of what I have to say about this pattern I've said previously here.  But this is such an awesome little pattern, fussy- but the result is always good.  

Fabric:  The fabric is a seersucker from Hancocks fabrics purchased last year.  This girl loves rainbows and chose the fabric.  Its a pretty thin seersucker and when I laundered it before sewing, the hot pink stripe bled on the fabric..arghhh.  It was faint but enough that I could see it, of course my daughter still loved the fabric.  The dress is lined with a coral cotton poly/cotton fabric from my stash.   
Will she wear it?  Yes, she loves it and wears it willingly.  

Now on to my new "go to" outfit.  

Pattern: 
You can receive the pattern for free when you sign up for the newsletter.  Its a very fast sew since there are no sleeves to set in and with knits, no seams to finish.  I used the size small in the shoulders and graded out to a medium at the waist.  The pattern doesn't include seam allowances so you have to add those, I added 3/8  inch seams all around and I probably should've read the instructions because there are specifications for the seam allowances.   As far as finishing the edges I simply turned under the sleeves and neck by 1/4 and straight stitched them down.  I left the hem unfinished.  There are instructions for a neck binding but I didn't really want to fiddle with it.   

The skirt is McCalls 7096.  I made the size 14 but probably could go down to a size 12, luckily this skirt is not hard to alter.   I also chopped about 3 1/2 inches off the bottom.  It has a side zipper and a contoured waistband (again, why why why don't all skirts have contoured waistbands?).  I am hoping to do some color blocking on this skirt down the road because why not?  I didn't have any problems with construction.
Fabric:
For the Tee I used a remnant piece of jersey with one way stretch leftover from another project.  It was a value fabric at Hancock fabrics and the skirt is rayon challis from Hancocks as well.  I love it when they clear out last summer's fabrics and you can get them for a steal on the spot the bolt table.  I love rayon challis because it is so breathable in the summer and so soft on the skin.  I serged all the raw edges because rayon challis likes to fray.     
Styling: These two pieces are easy to wear and here I have on birkenstocks but for work (going back to work in a few weeks after 6 years of being a SAHM!)  I'll probably wear flats.  I call this my new "go to" outfit because of the comfort and ease of it and because I will be able to translate it into work wear very easily.  Also these two patterns are relatively simple to whip out and since I start work soon I'm trying to crank out as many separates as possilble.  So my question for anyone reading is, do you have any tried and true patterns that are easy to whip out and also move seamlessly between work and home?   

Linking up to Gray All Day Sew Chic in a Week. 

10 comments:

  1. Really cute outfit. I love the Kirsten Kimono tee - I think at this point I have sewn five of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Masha, good to hear from you, hope you are well! I've checked in with your blog from time to time and it looks like you've been crazy busy in life. This is a really comfy outfit, and I've had that kimono tee taped together for some time, but never made it up. Its a great little staple, I see why you'd make it five times!

      Delete
  2. What a great Fairy Tale dress. It's perfectly Easter-ish.
    Looks like a nice, simple t-shirt pattern for you and the fit is spot on. Good luck with your return to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The T shirt is a great quick sewing project, I've already made another! Thanks for your well wishes about my job!

      Delete
  3. Love Aj's dress, so adorable and the rainbow is so her! Love the peter pan collar. Your white and gold dress is beautiful. You did an amazing job and it will be perfect for work. Maybe you can sneak the birkenstocks under it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha sis, of course you'd think it was gold and white ;) I love a good maxi skirt. The Easter dress is very her, she loves those colors and enjoys wearing it.

      Delete
  4. Oh the Easter dress is perfect for AJ and I love the twirls she does. Lovely dress.
    Your top and skirt will be very nice for work. I need to get that top pattern. I might just make it! The outfit looks good on you. Comfortable and attractive, what more can u ask?
    Can't wait to see you all soon. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mom, she does like that dress! You will have to make the top, its easy peasy!! Can't wait to see you soon too! Love, E

      Delete
  5. So pretty... Aj's dress and your top too..

    ReplyDelete